Thursday, April 3, 2008

On Victory

I'm laughing as I write today because my appreciation of God's grace and sense of humor is so strong right now. It's been a pretty rough week for me, and I've been struggling to keep my head above the waters of fear, guilt, anxiousness, and doubt. As I was summing up my day with God last night and again just now, I told Him that I don't feel particularly victorious. As God would have it, today's verse makes me shake my head in amazement - this is "Flip and Point" at its best, I think. "What's today's verse?" you ask. Well, it's Romans 8:37 "No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us." Seriously, God just cracks me up sometimes!

But wait, it gets better. I looked up this verse in Strong's Dictionary* and laughed again. Here's part of the definition of the Greek word for "conqueror" (which, by the way, in case you're curious is hupernikao): "To gain a surpassing victory". Not just a victory - a surpassing victory. Not just conquerors, more than conquerors.

And here's why we are more than conquerors and have surpassing victory: When Jesus rose from the dead, He conquered sin and death, and passed that victory on to us through His blood. We have Christ's victory! But we have something else too. Ephesians 1:18-20 tells us that we have great power at our disposal - we have the same power that God used to raise Christ from the dead. I'm pretty sure that much power is enough to overcome whatever comes our way. Don't you agree?

Because of all of this, we can know that no matter what happens or what kind of day we're having, it is in God's powerful hands and through Christ, we can indeed live victoriously through it. Kinda puts our troubles in perspective, doesn't it?

*I really would like to find the copyright information for this, but as far as I can tell, it's Public Domain. Hope I'm right...

No comments: