Monday, April 28, 2008

On Doing Our Jobs

I had no idea when I started this blog that it would become so personal, so encompassing. I had no idea what a struggle it would become to be in the Word on a regular basis. I thought this was just going to be a fun adventure. I should have known...No true study of God's Word, no commitment to it, is just a fun adventure. But even more than that, no true study of God's Word goes unnoticed by our enemy. More to the point, no true commitment to obey goes unnoticed by our enemy. I remember being told when I was in high school that I would know I was doing what God wanted me to do if I found myself plagued by attacks from Satan. Intense insecurity in every facet of life, frustrating and overwhelming circumstances, temptation to go back to sins I thought I had left far behind, being constantly reminded of life's unfairnesses. These and more have been my situation lately.

Quite often, the God we serve asks things of us that we think are too big, too hard, and even sometimes too ridiculous. But He gives us what we need to do what He asks. And when we reach out and take the tools He hands us, we can be sure that Satan will do everything he can to bind our hands and keep us from using them. But the God we serve is greater and more powerful than all the evil in the world and all the evil that is thrown in our paths (1 John 4:4)! Familiar verses from Romans 8 come to mind as I think about this - verses 37-39: Nothing can separate us from our God; verse 26: The Spirit helps us in our weakness; verse 28: God works for the good of those whom He has called; and the kicker, verse 31: If God is for us, who can be against us?

Are you being asked to do something that is so far beyond you that you don't even know where to start? Are you in the middle of a task you know you've been given and find yourself frustrated, unsure of your abilities, tempted, or just scared to keep going? Take my word for it, God will help you finish the work He has given you to do. He wants to see us succeed. He wants to see us soar like the eagles we are. Trust Him. Renew your commitment to obey Him every chance you get. Know that you are safe and free to obey because you have been sealed by the Holy Spirit (Ephesians 1:13 -14) (think really strong ziplock bag). And finally, believe that "He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus" (Philippians 1:6). Aren't you glad you don't have to do this on your own?

No comments: